On 11/27/2017 $59.50
Grilled Whole Turkey:
Preparing the turkey
- PICK OUT A GREAT TURKEY!
- MAKE SURE THE TURKEY FITS!
- BRINING is a great way to add weight and moisture!
- Add FLAVOR!
- Cover the top of the turkey with a CHEESE CLOTH. You will leave this on for the first 2-3 hours.
Preparing the grill
- When using a gas grill you will want to use wood chips. I like to use 2 handfuls of cherry and 1 handful of hickory. Soak the wood chips in water or beer before you use them for anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. You can put the wood chips in a PORTABLE SMOKER BOXor in a smoker box if your grill has one.
- Put a DRIP PAN on the flavorizer bars with 2-3 liters of water under where the turkey will go. If you plan on using the drippings in a gravy then only use 1 liter of water.
- Set-up the grill for INDIRECT HEAT, meaning that the turkey will not be directly over a lit burner. Preheat your grill for 10-15 minutes before adding your turkey.
- If it is going to be cold where you live, like it will be here in the Midwest, then the turkey will take few extra minutes per pound to cook.
- Check the temperature of the turkey halfway through the cook, three quarters of the way and then when you think it is done to make sure that you are on the right track to hit 165. This will help you monitor the turkey and make sure it is not over cooked!
- The more you open the lid, the longer it will take to cook so be patient, relax and go watch some more football.
When is it done?
- Keep in the mind that the turkey could cook a little quicker than you expect so be sure to have checked it halfway, three quarters of the way and then when you think it is done.
- Check the temperature of the turkey on the innermost part of the thigh and the thickest part of the breast to make sure that it is fully cooked at 165 degrees before removing it.
- This step is important! Let it rest for 20-30% of the total cooking time. You can loosely cover the turkey with a piece of aluminum foil while it is resting or you can just leave it uncovered.
- Before you CARVE into that beautiful bird, share your pictures on social media with us!
WE HAVE A LARGE SELECTION OF GRILLS, just in case you want to grill more than one turkey at a time!